When Clackamas County called on a Tuesday night to inquire about using Gladstone Campground, the immediate answer was, “Yes!” From that moment, a few people burst into action, readying the campus for the 100+ RVs that would find their way to us over the next few days. The team was small but mighty, working day and night to make sure campsites were ready. They organized donations, secured porta-potties, sought other community partners, cleaned bathrooms, ordered supplies, welcomed guests, and anything else that needed to be done. By day 3, it was clear that this evacuation site would require far more people to participate. By Sabbath, plans were in place to bring on more team members to shoulder the load.
Since then, the team has expanded greatly.
- More than 50 people have volunteered for shifts on campus.
- Around 85 pastors have been drafted to serve on shifts, each coming to the campus for 3 days in a row to serve the needs. (If you wonder where your pastor has been, they’ve probably been at Hope Valley.)
- Members and friends of the church have contributed financially to support this work of fire relief.
The evacuation site has truly been a team effort.
In the Oregon Conference, we know “It’s All About Jesus.” When we chose this year as the year of Serving Jesus and Others, we had no idea that God would call us to such intense and meaningful service. Yet through His grace and the selfless generosity of so many people, we’ve stood together to answer the call to serve.
Today, there are still some 50 RVs parked down in Hope Valley. Our leaders are working with Clackamas County to determine how long this site will be needed. Yet as long as it’s open, it will need a team of staff and volunteers to connect with, and meet the needs of our guests.
We’re all in this together!
Want to help? Keep praying for this effort.Then do one of the following:
- Donate to Oregon ACS – Wildfires to support the expenses of the evacuation site and support fire relief in local communities.
- Lift up and encourage the pastors and other site volunteers. When they’re on, they’re working hard to provide a first-class experience for our Hope Valley guests.